Well hey there peeps! So as some of you may know, I was given the opportunity to be a stay at home mom when my family moved from Phoenix, AZ to Las Vegas, NV. Loved every moment of it, but it just wasn’t the life for me. As of February 3, 2015 I hit the ground running back into the corporate world and it feels great!
One of the biggest things that I found as a struggle was balancing my work/life. It seemed that going back to work after 8 months of a steady routine wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be. After the excitement of having a job died down a week into it, I began to feel fatigued and frustrated. My kids had become accustomed to coming home every day with me there to help with homework, hubby was use to a cooked meal and a clean house, and I was used to being able to shut the world out when I didn’t feel like being bothered.
So here I am (6 weeks and 1,000 unwatched shows on my DVR later) with a game plan. This has really helped me over the past couple of weeks and I hope that someone can benefit from it! So here are my top tips for finding that work/life balance.
1. Time management – One of the things that I learned was that because I went back to work doesn’t mean anything to after school activities and my daughters job. So I have to manage my time from the minute I step into the door until I lay my head on the pillow to go to sleep. This includes a lot of prioritizing. Kids come first of course, then hubby, then everything else.
2. Utilize the “Help” – When someone asks can they help you with something… LET THEM. As much as you try to be supermom/wife, you only have 2 arms with 2 hands and 2 legs. It’s physically impossible to clean, cook, help with homework and change a diaper at the same time.
3. Feel free to say no – One of the biggest things that I argue with my sister and my best friend about is saying NO. You don’t have to always go somewhere or do something just because someone asked you too! Tell them “Maybe next time” and take your butt home and rest!!
4. Proper diet and adequate rest – I cannot stress enough the importance of taking care of your body while always on the go. Keep a healthy snack in your purse and if you find yourself unable to fall asleep at night try something natural such as melatonin or valerian root to give you that night time bump.
5. Take time for yourself – Want to know where my happy place is? The bathroom. Yep, I take 30 minutes a day and sit on the floor in my bathroom and read or do online window shopping. If you don’t have the time, make it. You’ll thank yourself later.
Hopefully these 5 tips are enough push to get your own routine going. I know that it is very hard to balance this lifestyle, but it can be done! You just have to put your mind to it!!
Until Next Time!!